Potato soup is one of the comfort foods that many people enjoy from a can. Why do that when you can make your own in no time without risking sodium overload?
This recipe is minimally adapted from Susan Voisin at FatFreeVegan. Note: My adaptations no longer make it fat free 🙂
Creamy Vegan Potato Soup
Makes 4, 1 cup servings
3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, cooked and peeled, if desired
½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 cup vegetable broth
1/4 teaspoon rosemary
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk
- Saute the onion a medium-sized saucepan for 5 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Cut the potatoes into cubes and add 2/3 of them to the pan, along with the broth, rosemary, white pepper, and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes.
- Pour into blender along with non-dairy milk, and nutritional yeast.
- Blend until smooth.
- Return to pan, add remaining potatoes, and cook, stirring often, over low heat until hot.