These are my favorite black bean brownies. I have tried other versions, but keep coming back to this recipe. Don’t mistake these brownies for a healthy recipe just because they include black beans. With all of this sugar, these are no where near healthy…but they do taste good
Vegan Black Bean Brownies
Source: No Meat Athlete, Adapted
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 1/4 cups raw sugar
1 1/2 cup cocoa
4 tsp instant coffee powder
1 1/2 cups chopped hazelnuts
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup water
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup of water (eyeball it by filling up half the empty can)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the dry ingredients.
- Drain a can of black beans and rinse thoroughly until the water runs clear.
- Add 3/4 cup water to a food processor or blender along with the beans and puree them.
- Add the puree to the dry mix along with the vanilla and extra cup of water.
- Stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9×13 pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, rotating the pan around halfway through. Cook them longer if you need to. When the brownies are finished they should be firm in the center and the edges will be slightly puffy and starting to pull away from the sides.
- Let brownies cool completely then cut them into whatever shape you like.