Need a gravy recipe for the holidays? Here’s a simple, flavorful one that everyone’s sure to enjoy!
Vegan Mushroom Gravy
Source: About.com, Vegetarian Food
1 cup white or button mushrooms, chopped
1 small yellow or white onion, minced
1/4 cup vegan margarine
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning or (1/2 tsp each – sage, thyme, marjoram)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, melt the vegan margarine and add the onion and mushrooms.
- Saute for 1-2 minutes over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and add vegetable broth and soy sauce.
- Slowly add flour, stirring well to combine and prevent lumps from forming.
- Bring to a simmer or a low boil, then reduce the heat.
- Add poultry seasoning (or sage, thyme and marjoram), salt and pepper, stirring constantly.
- Allow to cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring regularly, until gravy thickens.