Vegan Apple Crumb Pie

Who doesn’t love apple pie? This one is simple and delicious…and of course, it’s vegan!

Vegan Apple Crumb Pie

Inspiration: All Recipes (adapted)

Serious Eats: Rationale for pouring boiling water over apples

1 (9 inch) deep dish pie shell

Filling
3 pounds of apples, sliced about ¼ inch thick (I use a mixture of granny smith and honey crisp or gala apples)
2 ½ quarts of boiling water
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt

Topping
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
5 tablespoons vegan margarine

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
  2. Place apple slices in a large bowl or pot.
  3. Pour boiling water directly over them. Cover and set aside at room temperature for ten minutes.
  4. Drain apples well and let sit in a colander in the sink, tossing occasionally until completely dry, about 10 minutes.
  5. While the apples are draining use the same bowl and combine sugar, cinnamon, salt, and flour.
  6. In another bowl or in a food processor, mix 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of brown sugar.
  7. Cut in margarine until mixture is crumbly.
  8. Add the apples to the bowl with the sugar/cinnamon/flour/salt along with the vanilla extract.
  9. Toss until the apples are coated evenly.
  10. Spoon mixture into a pastry shell.
  11. Sprinkle the brown sugar/flour mixture over the apple filling.
  12. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
  13. Remove the foil and bake for another 30 minutes until the top is golden brown.
  14. Cool on a wire rack for at least 2 hours before cutting.
facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmailby feather

Comments

1. says

Hi Priscilla. Just discovered your blog trghuoh twitter. Great job, we need more inspiration in the world so thank you for sharing your positive attitude and message. I got into raw food and juicing about a year ago and loved it so much that I started selling juicers on my own. If you ever need some tips or advice on juicing or juicers, don’t hesitate to write.Cheers,Marcus

2. says

Love the way your touching so many peolpe and make them think about the way we are doing things. I already began to make a change and it feels good. God has a perfect plan for you and being obedient to his word and to his voice you will be more amazing than you are right NOW. God bless all your plans, we are excited that we are gong to spend christmas with you!!!

3. Michelle says

Oh man! I’m so sorry you had that reaction to the eggs. I’m very happy, however, that you stumbled across my website :) I’m looking forward to your ice cream recipe. Every summer, I actively talk myself out of buying an ice cream machine…I’m so afraid that if I buy one, I’ll make a lot of ice cream = eat a lot of ice cream… I’ll have to find some people to share it with so I can buy one :)

4. Lynn says

Can’t remember what website I was on, but I accidently stumbled across yours, pasted it to my favorites, and I could not be happier. I have been a vegetarian for a long time. I bake cakes during the holidays and sell, one day I was making a cake, cracked the eggs and suddenly my stomach turned over at the sight of the egg. It was a good egg, but for some reason I could not forget how I felt. It was than that I decided to try vegan recipes, so I went in search of them, the rest is history. I make all vegan dishes for my family of three, I’m still baking for people and using eggs in their recipes, but slowly trying to get away from them all together. Thanks for your wonderful vegan recipes, keep up the good work. I make vegan ice cream and will share the recipe with you some day soon.

5. Michelle says

I’m glad everything worked out with your family situation! The holidays are the worst time for family emergencies :( Thanks for sharing your delicious looking pic with me and for being such a loyal follower of my stuff! I appreciate it more than you know.

6. Rhona says

I’m so excited. I am making this tonight for family Christmas dinner tomorrow. We had a family emergency last weekend and things could have been very bad but we were lucky. We will be celebrating tomorrow instead and I am making this. I will tweet or insta you a picture for sure.