Creamy, smooth and bursting with flavor. Yes, soup! Try it and you’ll agree.
Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup
Adapted from Hello, from the Natos
Yield: 8 cups
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup diced onion (about half an onion)
1/2 cup diced carrot (about 2 carrots)
1/2 cup diced celery (about 2 ribs)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, preferably fire roasted (undrained)
2 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons vegan margarine
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 dried bay leaves
1 cup raw, unsalted cashews
1 cup vegetable broth
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Pour in olive oil and add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, dried basil, salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper; cook for 10 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- Add the tomatoes with the juice, 2 cups vegetable broth, margarine, balsamic vinegar and bay leaves; bring to a boil.
- Cover, turn down heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, pour cashews in a small saucepan and add enough water to cover them; bring to a boil and cook for 7 minutes.
- Drain the cashews and add them to a blender.
- Pour 1 cup of vegetable broth in the blender and blend until it’s completely smooth with no grittiness, about 5 minutes depending on your blender.
- Pour the cashew cream into a small bowl.
- Once the soup has cooked for 30 minutes, remove the bay leaf and allow it to cool, about 20 minutes.
- Pour the soup in the blender in batches and blend until smooth.
- Return soup to the pot and stir in the cashew cream and heat through.