Delicious tofu full of flavor without marinating it!
What is braising? A combination cooking method using both moist and dry heat; typically the food is first seared at a high temperature and then finished in a covered pot with a variable amount of liquid, resulting in a particular flavor. (Wikipedia)
My preferred method of pressing tofu – TofuXpress
1 block extra firm tofu, pressed, cut into whatever shape you like
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoons agave nectar
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon cold water
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- Dry fry the tofu on both sides in a nonstick pan on medium heat (without oil), in batches if necessary.
- Add ingredients for braising liquid to a small bowl and stir to mix well.
- Return all of the tofu to the pan if you had to cook it in batches.
- Add the braising liquid, turn heat down to medium low, simmer for 10 minutes, covered.
- Uncover, turn up heat and reduce liquid for 5 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch and cold water until cornstarch is completely dissolved.
- 7. With a slotted spoon or slotted spatula, remove tofu.
- 8. Add slurry to pan and stir into remaining braising liquid until thickened. Should take less than a minute.
- 9. Pour sauce over tofu.