Feed this to your meat eating friends and they won’t miss the meat and cheese! This dish provides all of the satisfaction with none of the cruelty 🙂
Vegan Stuffed Shells
Ricotta Recipe (adapted) from All Recipes
Yield: 4 servings, 3 shells each
15 jumbo shells
Italian Sausage Sauce
1, 24 oz jar marinara sauce
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons soy sauce or Tamari
½ tablespoon fennel seeds
½ teaspoon ground sage
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon ground thyme
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
⅛ teaspoon salt
½ cup textured vegetable protein
2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1, 14 ounce package extra-firm tofu (drained and not pressed)
¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta.
- Once water is boiling, cook pasta for 15 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the pasta.
- Transfer the pasta to a plate, separating the shells to make sure they don’t stick.
Prepare Baking Dish
- Pour ¾ cup marinara sauce in the bottom of an 8×8 baking dish. Set aside the remaining sauce.
- Preheat oven to 350.
Prepare Italian Sausage Sauce
- Pour water and soy sauce in a saucepan.
- Mix in fennel, sage, onion powder, basil, oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper, garlic powder and salt.
- Bring it to a boil and remove from the heat.
- Stir in the TVP making sure it all gets evenly coated, and let sit uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Pour in the remaining marinara sauce and the balsamic vinegar.
- Stir and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Break the tofu into large chunks and drop in the bowl of a blender or food processor.
- Pour in the remaining ingredients for the ricotta and blend until smooth.
- Scoop a spoonful of ricotta into each shell and place it in the prepared 8×8 baking dish.
- Pour meat sauce over shells.
- Bake for 25 minutes covered.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes until it’s bubbling.