In honor of Earth Day, I'm providing a few reasons why eating fish is not great for your health or the environment. Today, I challenge you to eat one vegan meal. Why fish isn't a great alternative to meat...
- The ocean is stressed to the limit from the amount of fishing. There has been a 90% decline of the top predators in the ocean, including tuna and swordfish.
- The bycatch that fisheries kill is unbelievable. These are animals that were not the intended target. They are killed and thrown back into the water.
- Poor people in areas of the world who depend on fish are running out
- Fish live in polluted water and absorb the toxic chemicals in that water. These chemicals and bacteria (which include many besides mercury) become more concentrated as they move up the food chain.
- The feces from fish raised in pens increases algae growth and creates dead zones in the sea just like synthetic fertilizers.
- Fish raised in pens are often given drugs to prevent the inevitable disease that spreads when fish live cramped in cages.
It's really not a good situation and the truth is we must all exercise our choices. Every day we choose what we will eat. Our everyday, individual choices matter.
Happy Earth Day and I encourage you, once again, to eat one vegan meal today!