TVP is making an appearance again today. And like yesterday's spaghetti recipe. You could omit it if you want, but if you're serving it to people who aren't vegan (including yourself), you might want to add it. It makes these tacos familiar. You can also use pre-packaged taco seasoning, but I think making your own is better, especially if you’re like me and already have these spices on hand. If you don't, by all means use the pre-made taco seasoning.
This mixture could be used for a taco salad or even a burrito.
Taco Filling Recipe
Servings: 4 Cost per Serving: $1.15
1 can kidney beans (or your bean of choice), rinsed and drained
1⁄2 cup brown rice, cooked (white rice would work too)
1⁄2 cup water
1⁄2 cup TVP
1 jar of salsa
1 tablespoon chili powder
1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne powder
1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
1 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- ￼￼Combine the taco seasonings and blend well.
- Bring 1⁄2 cup water to a boil.
- Add the taco seasoning mix to the boiling water and stir until it's well combined and the spices have dissolved (30 seconds or so).
- Add the water to the TVP, mix and make sure that all of the TVP is moist.
- Let the TVP sit for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, the TVP should have absorbed all of the water.
- Add the beans, rice and salsa to the TVP and mix to combine.
- To assemble your taco, add the mixture to a taco shell and top with whatever else you like!
Watch me make this on YouTube. I've tweaked this recipe slightly since recording this video.
This is part of the Budget Vegan Meals Series