The first time I had asparagus was in high school at a classmate’s house. Her parents grilled it. I wasn’t overly impressed. My mother never prepared it and I didn’t try it again until I was in my late 20’s when a guy I was dating made it for me. This simple preparation is the key for me. Salt, pepper and lemon. It’s all these tender spears need. Take them out as soon as they turn bright green so you can enjoy the nice crunch.
Servings: 4 side dishes
Cost per Serving: .75
1 bunch of asparagus
1 lemon, juiced
¼ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon pepper
Extra virgin olive oil, enough to coat the pan
- Break off the woody stem of one asparagus spear and cut the others to the same length.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add enough oil to coat the pan.
- Add the asparagus, salt and pepper.
- Saute just until the asparagus turns bright green.
- Add the lemon juice and remove the asparagus from the pan.
This is #2 of 7 Side Dishes that Just Might Steal the Show