Source: Ina Garten
Carrots are another vegetable that are best roasted. If you eat them raw, you know that they are sweet. When they are roasted those sugars are carmelized and they are even sweeter. So good! Oh and don’t be tempted to buy those bags of baby carrots. Buy carrots by the pound. It’s cheaper and the product is the same.
Interesting note about baby carrots...According to American Wasteland,
"Baby carrots began as a way to reduce waste--finding a use for those bumpy, crooked, and stubby carrots that any gardener would recognize. They are basically carrots cut into two-inch pieces and whittled down in an industrial peeler."
Servings: 4 side dishes
Cost per Serving: .54
2 pounds of carrots, peeled, cut in half lengthwise
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried dill or parsley or 1 tablespoon fresh dill or parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put the carrots on a sheet pan.
- Toss them with the olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Roast the carrots in the oven for 30 minutes, until browned and tender. Mine didn't turn very brown, but they were tender.
- Toss the carrots with minced dill or parsley and serve.
This is #5 of 7 Side Dishes that Just Might Steal the Show