Since regular tofu comes immersed in water, how do you open it without making a mess? And what do you do with the water? The water needs to be drained. This is the easiest way to do it:
- Hold the tub of tofu over a sink, hold it vertically and cut a slit or two at the edge of the top of the package. You want to make your cut at the top so you don't cut the tofu accidentally.
- Drain the water directly into the sink.
- Slice or peel the rest of the top.
- Tilt the package so the tofu falls into your hand.
- Gently rinse it under cool running water.
- Pat it dry with a clean dishtowel.
If your recipe does not call for an entire package of tofu, you will need to put it in a storage container and cover it with cold water. Seal it tightly and keep it refrigerated for up to 3-4 days, changing the water daily. If you're storing silken tofu and you don't want to worry about changing water, just make a smoothie with the tofu that's left and you don't have to worry about it.
Here are several smoothie recipes to try.