Grits are a staple on the breakfast table in the South. If you cook your grits with just water, stop now. Try this recipe and you will never return to your old ways. These grits are creamy and don't need to be doctored up with lots of sugar.
Creamy Vegan Southern Grits
Adapted from Divas Can Cook
1½ cups water
3/4 cup coconut cream*
1/4 cup non-dairy milk
½ cup 5-minute grits
2 tablespoons vegan margarine
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place a can of full fat coconut milk in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
- Take it out of the fridge and open it.
- Scoop out 3/4 cup of the solid cream that has risen to the top. You will probably have about 1 1/4 cups. Don't use the water at the bottom for this recipe. You can save it for a smoothie or something else.
- Add the coconut cream, water and nondairy milk to a pot.
- Whisk it and bring to a boil.
- Slowly add in the grits while whisking steadily.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue whisking for 5 minutes.
- Remove the grits from the heat.
- Add butter, salt and pepper.
* buy 1 13.5 ounce can of full fat coconut milk