Portobello mushrooms have a meaty texture and when they are marinated, they taste amazing! You may actually find that you want more. Feel free to purchase 8 instead of 4. That just removes the meal from the budget friendly category with the goal of a meal that's under $5 per serving. But don't let that stop you! You're going to enjoy these mushrooms.
Note: The gills on the underside of the portobello mushroom are edible. You can scrape them out or leave them. It's your choice.
The recipe for the asparagus was included in the Side Dishes Series. You could also roast it!
Servings: 4 (1 mushroom per person) Cost per Serving: $3.05
Marinated Portobello Mushrooms
Source: 30 Day Vegan Challenge (affiliate link), Colleen Patrick Goudreau (adapted)
4 large portobello mushrooms
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon each - dried rosemary, thyme, marjoram/oregano
Small amount of olive oil for sautéing
- Remove the stems from the underside of the mushrooms and lightly wipe the tops with a damp paper towel.
- In a large bowl combine and stir the vinegar, soy sauce, water, rosemary, thyme, marjoram and black pepper.
- Add the mushrooms to the marinade for 30 minutes-overnight, making sure each one is covered.
- When you're ready to cook, add oil to a large pan and turn heat to medium.
- Remove the mushrooms from the marinade but don't discard the marinade.
- Add mushrooms to the pan, tops down and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Pour some of the marinade into the pan, cover and continue cooking for5-7 minutes on each side.
Source: Rachel Ray
2 pounds red potatoes, washed
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, enough to coat
2 tablespoons Herbes de Provence or 1 teaspoon each - parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme combined
1 tablespoon grill seasoning (recommended: McCormick Montreal Seasoning) or 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil for easy clean up.
- Cut potatoes into wedges and drop onto cookie sheet.
- Combine the oil and dried spices and grill seasoning or salt and pepper and mix well.
- Pour the seasoning mixture over the potatoes and rub it on them to make sure all pieces are coated.
- Roast the potatoes, turning once, for 25 minutes.