Make this creamy, rich soup to keep you warm this winter.
Vegan Butternut Squash Bisque
Yield: 9 to 10 Cups
Note: If you microwave the squash for 3 minutes or so, it's easier to peel.
3 pounds butternut squash, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
4 Cups vegetable broth
1 tablespoon vegan margarine (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tsp thyme
½ teaspoon agave nectar
¼ teaspoon black pepper
⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
⅛ teaspoon cardamom (optional)
⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
1 Cup Raw, Unsalted Cashews (soaked overnight or boiled for 7 minutes)
1 Cup vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Toss butternut squash with vegetable oil and place on a baking sheet in one layer.
- Roast the squash for 30 minutes.
- While the squash is roasting, make your cashew cream.
- Pour 1 cup of vegetable broth and the cashews in a blender and blend until completely smooth. This could take up to 5 minutes depending on your blender.
- Set the cream aside.
- When the squash is ready, add it to a large pot along with the apples, 4 cups of vegetable broth, margarine (if using), salt, thyme, agave nectar, black pepper, cinnamon, cardamom (if using) and nutmeg.
- Bring it to a boil, then cover it, turn down the heat and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Let it cool, then add it to the blender and blend it in batches.
- 1Return the soup to the pot or a large bowl and stir in the cashew cream.