This mac and cheese recipe is the best I've tasted yet! The sauce is so flavorful, you don't even miss the cheese :)
I made a few changes to the original. I doubled the sauce, but not the salt and I also preferred to thinly slice the vegetables so they can cook a bit faster. This isn't required but it does decrease the cooking time. I also altered the preparation order based on my experience making the dish. Enjoy!
Vegan Mac and Cheese
Source: VegNews (adapted)
4 quarts water
1 tablespoon sea salt
8 ounces (2 cups) macaroni
5 slices of bread, torn into large pieces
2 ½ tablespoons vegan margarine
¼ cup shallots, peeled and thinly sliced or chopped
2 cups red or yellow potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced or chopped
1/2 cup carrots, peeled and thinly sliced or chopped
1 cup onion, peeled and thinly sliced or chopped
2 cups water 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight or boiled for 7 minutes
1/3 cup vegan margarine
2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
2 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced 1/2 teaspoon
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon cayenne
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a saucepan, add shallots, potatoes, carrots, onion, and water, and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. If you chop the vegetables, simmer them for 15 minutes. They should be very soft.
- In a blender, add the softened vegetables and cooking water, the cashews, salt, garlic, 1/3 cup margarine, mustard, lemon juice, black pepper, and cayenne.
- Process until perfectly smooth.
- In a large pot, bring the water and salt to a boil.
- Add macaroni and cook until al dente. In a colander, drain pasta. Set aside.
Make Bread Crumbs
- In a food processor, make bread crumbs by pulverizing the bread and 2 tablespoons margarine to a medium-fine texture. Set aside.
Assemble and Bake
- In a large bowl, toss the cooked pasta and blended cheese sauce until completely coated.
- Spread mixture into a 8x8 casserole dish, sprinkle with prepared bread crumbs, and dust with paprika.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese sauce is bubbling and the top has turned golden brown.