Are you celebrating Cinco de Mayo or do you just love Mexican food as much as I do. These Homemade Vegan Refried Beans will hit the spot! You'll be surprised at how good these taste with just a few ingredients.
Homemade Vegan Refried Beans
Makes 1¼ cup
1 tablespoon coconut or oil
½ cup diced onion
1 tablespoon minced jalapeño, about half a pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ancho chili powder, or other chili powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon black pepper
1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, preferably low-sodium, drained and rinsed
½ cup vegetable broth, plus more if needed
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-low.
- Add the onion and jalapeño and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute more or until fragrant.
- Increase the heat to medium and mix in beans and vegetable broth.
- Using a potato masher or back of a spoon, mash beans into liquid.
- Continue cooking for 7-10 minutes until the liquid is absorbed and the beans hold together. Stir frequently to make sure it doesn’t stick to the pan.