I must be the only Southerner who doesn't like mushy greens and doesn't believe collards must be cooked forever to be done. Watch me prepare flavorful collards that are actually green when I'm done.
Michelle's Collard Greens
2 bunches fresh collards, cleaned, ribs removed and chopped into small pieces
1 teaspoon canola oil
2 teaspoons liquid smoke
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon agave nectar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and boil collards for 7 minutes.
- Drain them for 1 minute.
- Heat a pan on medium-high heat and add the canola oil.
- When the pan is hot, add the greens.
- Toss them for a few minutes. They will cook down.
- Add the remaining ingredients, toss to evenly distribute the seasoning and adjust to taste.