This fried eggplant is my favorite way to prepare eggplant so far. It's crispy, a little bit salty and just a little bit greasy :)
Notes: Try to find a fresh eggplant with smooth skin. Prepare this dish within a day or two of purchasing the eggplant. Older eggplants will be bitter and the seeds will be black.
1 medium eggplant or 2 small eggplants that weigh around 1 pound, peeled
Cooking oil of your choice
½ cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds or flax meal
½ cup warm water
¼ cup non dairy milk
2 cups vegan panko bread crumbs
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
- Prepare 3 separate shallow dishes for the eggplant breading. In one, add the flour, ¼ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper.
- In another dish, combine the flax seeds, water and milk.
- In the last dish, combine the breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, 2 teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Slice the eggplant into ½ inch rounds.
- Dip an eggplant slice in the flour, then the flax mixture, then coat it with the bread crumb mixture.
- Repeat this for all eggplant slices.
- Add oil to a pan on medium high heat.
- Fry the eggplant for 4-5 minutes on each side.