They look fancy, but they are really pretty simple. Impress your family or guests with these stuffed peppers loaded with veggies, rice, and vegan sausage!
Vegan Sausage Stuffed Peppers
6 bell peppers, tops cut away and seeds removed
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 bell pepper (any color), finely chopped
1 batch prepared TVP sausage
2 cups cooked rice
1 cup marinara sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large pot of boiling water, parboil the peppers until just tender, 3 minutes.
- Remove them and set them aside to dry.
- Saute the onions and peppers in vegetable oil until they are soft.
- In a bowl, combine the onions and peppers, TVP sausage, rice and marinara sauce.
- Pour enough water into a baking dish to just cover the bottom, about 1/8-inch deep.
- Stuff the bell peppers with the rice-TVP mixture and place in the baking dish.
- Cover and bake until the peppers are very tender and the filling is heated through, 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Yield: 2 1/2 cups
1 cup water
2 tablespoons soy sauce or Tamari
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup textured vegetable protein
- In a saucepan, add the water, the soy sauce and the spices.
- Bring it to a boil, stir it well and remove the pot from the heat.
- Add the TVP, mix well, and let it stand for 10 minutes.
- Fluff it with a fork.