This is an awesome recipe for Crispy Sweet and Sour Tofu from VeganYumYum (instructions adapted)
Crispy Sweet and Sour Tofu
1 Tub Extra Firm Tofu, pressed and sliced into small cubes
2 tsp Ener-g Egg Replacer + 4 tsp water, mixed
1/4 Cup Cornstarch
1/4 Cup Peanut or Canola Oil
Sesame Seeds for garnish
3 1/2 Tbs Seasoned Rice Vinegar
1/4 Cup Water
2 Tbs + 2 tsp Sugar
1 Tbs Tamari
1 Tbs Ketchup
1 tsp Molasses
1/4 tsp Ginger Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1 1/2 Tbs Cornstarch + 2 Tbs water
Note: Slice the tofu into triangles or small cubes. Smaller = better for this recipe, since smaller pieces won’t have a tendency to break when you toss them, and they have a bigger surface area to volume ratio (read: they’ll be crispier).
- Toss tofu with the egg replacer/water mixture until coated.
- Then toss in cornstarch until each piece is coated and dry, adding more cornstarch if needed.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet or wok.
- While oil is heating, mix sauce ingredients except for the cornstarch/water into a small sauce pan and whisk over medium heat until sugar and salt is dissolved.
- Add cornstarch mixture and whisk until the sauce thickens. If you leave the sauce unattended now it will thicken and burn, so keep an eye on it. When thick, turn off heat and set aside.
- Place tofu in the hot oil, being careful not to burn yourself. You don’t want the tofu to be crowded or the pieces will stick to each other, so fry it in batches if needed.
- Fry for 3-5 minutes until golden on the bottom, then gently turn and brown the other side.
- Drain tofu from oil (in the sink like you’d drain pasta, being very careful), and place tofu in a large bowl.
- Pour sauce on top and gently toss to completely coat. Sauce should be thick and sticky – it shouldn’t pool at the bottom of the bowl.
- Top with sesame seeds and serve immediately.