These cute little cornbread muffins are perfect to take to your Labor Day cookout or any potluck or social event. Of course, you could also make the vegan cornbread that I posted in the fall, but the presentation of the muffins is kind of fun :)
This was the first time that I made muffins without the muffin tin liners. I don't know why I've been so nervous about it Lol! They came our perfect! I love the crisp edges.
The key to making great muffins is not overmixing the batter. Once the liquid ingredients are added to the dry, mix the batter by hand just until the flour is moistened, for no more than about ten seconds. Too much mixing can cause the muffins to be dry, tough or misshapen.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup cornmeal
⅔ cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 ¼ cup milk
⅓ cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons melted vegan margarine
Equivalent of 2 eggs of a powdered egg replacer, prepared
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Thoroughly grease and flour a muffin pan (or use paper muffin liners).
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Combine the milk, oil and margarine and egg replacer mixture.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix no more than ten seconds. The batter should be visibly lumpy, and you may see pockets of dry flour. That's OK! It's extremely important not to overmix the batter, or the resulting muffins will be too hard.
- Gently pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan and bake immediately.
- Bake 18- 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
TIP: The dry and wet ingredients, respectively, can be mixed in advance, but as soon as the wet and dry ingredients have been combined with each other, the liquid will activate the baking powder and the batter must be baked right away.