If you like carrot cake, you're gonna love this one! It's so moist, it almost melts in your mouth. The secret ingredient to this vegan carrot cake...carrot puree.
1/2 cup non-dairy milk
½ tablespoon white vinegar
1 pound carrots, peeled and thinly sliced or 1 pound of shredded or matchsticks carrots
1 cup canola oil
1 cup of organic granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
1/2 cup of golden raisins (optional)
1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut (optional)
Vegan Cream Cheese Glaze
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease a bundt pan with oil and flour it.
- Pour the milk and vinegar into a small glass and stir. Set aside.
- Pour carrots in a saucepan and pour in enough water to cover; bring to a boil and boil for 15-20 minutes until soft.
- Drain carrots in a colander, then add to the bowl of food processor or container of blender. Cover and process or blend until pureed, about 20 seconds.
- In a large bowl, mix the canola oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer.
- Pour in the carrot puree and milk and mix again.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg, until thoroughly combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well with a spoon. Do not use an electric mixer.
- Fold in the walnuts, raisins and coconut, if using.
- Pour the batter into bundt pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes on 325 or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
- Let cake cool in the pan for 40-50 minutes until it is room temperature. The cake shouldn’t feel warm when you touch it.
- Turn out cake onto a plate and drizzle a thin layer of vegan cream cheese glaze over it.
- If using 2, 9-inch cake pans, 2 1/2 cups per pan, bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
Source: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
1/4 cup vegan margarine, softened
1/4 cup vegan cream cheese, softened
1 cup organic confectioner’s sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Add 3 tablespoons non-dairy milk for a glaze
- Mix margarine and cream cheese with an electric mixer until just combined.
- Pour in ½ cup of the confectioner's sugar and mix again.
- Continue to add ½ cup of the confectioner’s sugar at a time.
- Pour in vanilla extract and milk and mix again.
- Keep tightly covered and refrigerated until ready to use.