I believe that Jen at the Rooster Cart uses oyster mushrooms for her Po Boy sandwich so I searched for recipes that might get me close to her creation.
Chow Vegan's Oyster Mushroom Po' Boy recipe looked the most promising and I adapted it based. This one took a few tries to get a result that I liked.
Other Elements Necessary
- Bread: I used French Bread
- Crunchy Vegetables with a Sauce: Jen uses a curry slaw, so I chose a curry slaw recipe from Saveur.
Baked Oyster Mushrooms
Source: Chow Vegan (adapted)
These mushrooms were extremely salty the first time I made them. I've adapted the recipe and may continue to do so as I experiment. I'll update this article as well.
8 ounces oyster mushrooms, cleaned and separated (slice the bigger mushrooms)
6 tablespoons water
3 tablespoon ground flax meal
1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix together the water and flax meal in a small bowl and let stand for a few minutes until the mixture becomes slimy and somewhat sticky.
- In a separate plate or pan, combine the breadcrumbs, and seasoning.
- Dip a mushroom piece into the flax seed wash and then into the breadcrumbs, covering well.
- Place on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip over the mushrooms and bake another 5 minutes on the other side until crispy.
Source: Saveur (slightly adapted)
3 cups napa cabbage, thinly sliced 1 carrot, peeled, trimmed, and grated
1 jalapeño chile, stemmed, seeded, and diced
2 tsp. vegetable oil
1 tbsp. curry powder
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
2 tsp. dijon mustard
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine cabbage, carrots, and the chiles in a large bowl, cover, and refrigerate.
- Heat peanut oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat, add curry powder, remove from heat, and set aside to cool.
- Add lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, olive oil and reserved curry oil to a jar and shake well.
- Add dressing to vegetables.