These meaty portobello steaks are so versatile – serve them for a special dinner or even grill them in the summer. The marinade is what really makes them sing!
Marinated Portobello Steaks
Source: The 30-Day Vegan Challenge (affiliate link for the book) by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
6 large portobello mushrooms
½ cup each – balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, water
½ teaspoon each – dried rosemary, dried thyme, dried oregano or marjoram
⅛ teaspoon black pepper
Small amount of olive oil for sauteing
- Remove the stems and gills from the mushrooms and lightly wipe the tops with a damp paper towel.
- In a large bowl, combine the vinegar, soy sauce, water, herbs and pepper.
- Add the mushrooms to the marinade, making sure they are coated.
- Marinate the mushrooms for 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook, add olive oil to a large pan and turn the heat to medium.
- Remove the mushrooms from the marinade but don’t discard it.
- Add as many mushrooms that can fit in the pan, tops down.
- Cook them for 3-5 minutes on each side until they are lightly browned.
- Pour some marinade into the pan, cover and cook for 10-14 minutes, flipping the mushrooms halfway through.
- Repeat for the remaining mushrooms.