Delicious, creamy and familiar...This recipe will banish the "I can't give up cheese" excuse :) Well, to some extent. Try it. You'll love it!
Vegan Alfredo Sauce
Sources: Colleen Patrick Goudreau's The Vegan Table and Epicurean Vegan, Adapted
3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight or boiled for 8 minutes in just enough water to cover
1 3/4 cup nondairy milk
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons light (yellow or white) miso
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
pinch (1/8 teaspoon) cayenne pepper (optional)
- Drain and rinse cashews.
- Add cashews and the milk to a blender and blend until it's smooth (may take up to 5 minutes, depending on your blender).
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend again.
- Pour the sauce into a saucepan, turn heat up to medium and whisk until the sauce thickens.
- Once it thickens, remove it from the heat.
Source, Cook's Illustrated's Perfect Vegetables: Part of "The Best Recipe" Series
1 pound white or cremini mushrooms cleaned and cut into halves if small, quarters if large
2 tablespoons canola oil
½ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Adjust oven rack to the lowest position and heat the oven to 450.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Toss the mushrooms with the oil and salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Arrange the mushrooms in a single layer on the pan.
- Roast until the released juices have nearly evaporated and the mushroom surfaces facing the pan are browned, 12-15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and turn the mushrooms.
- Return the pan to the oven and continue to roast until the mushroom liquid has completely evaporated and the mushrooms are brown all over, 5-10 minutes longer.